Contacting the IRS

Although we would love to help you on your journey to financial freedom, the truth that most companies won’t tell you is that you don’t have to utilize the services of a tax professional. You are able to take advantages of these resources on your own, however we understand that the average person may not have the expertise to do so.

You don’t have to wait until you’re in trouble to contact the IRS. It’s best to make a call or visit to clear up any confusion and avoid finding yourself in a tax discrepancy. Whatever the case may be, we want you to have the tools you need to take on the IRS.

Call the IRS With Your Tax Questions

Live assistance is available Monday through Friday. There is also a 24-hour recorded assistance line for your convenience.


Contact Your Local IRS Office

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers for when you believe your tax issue is best handled with an IRS agent face-to-face. Hours of service and other local information is provided on a per state basis.


IRS Mailing Address (“Where to File”)

For those who don’t file their federal tax returns electronically, the “Where to File” pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate “Where to File” address for other written correspondence with the IRS.


Contact the IRS for Status of your Refund

Want to check on the status of your refund? You can check online with the Where’s My Refund application, or call 1-800-829-4477. (Please wait at least four weeks before calling.)


Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service

If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.


How to make a Voluntary Disclosure

Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should come in through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.


Contact Your Local IRS Office Internationally

International Services: IRS contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.


Suspicious IRS e-Mails and Identity Theft

The IRS does not send out unsolicited e-mails asking for personal information. An electronic mailbox has been established for you to report suspicious e-mails claiming to have been sent by the IRS.


How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?

If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity.


HELP with the Website

If you need help finding something on the site, understanding our different file formats, printing files you’ve downloaded, installing or using the tax products CD-ROM, or any similar technical problem here is the place to seek assistance.


Send the IRS Comments and Feedback by E-mail

This is NOT the place for tax law questions or questions regarding your specific tax return, but you can give us some constructive feedback regarding the website if you like. Give us your email address if you want a response, but don’t include any social security numbers or other personal tax account information.


IRS Hotlines:

  • Tax Help Line for Individuals: 800-829-1040
  • Tax Help Line for Businesses: 800-829-4933
  • Order Tax Forms and Publications: 800-829-3676
  • Information Return Reporting: 866-455-7438
  • Employer Identification Numbers (EINs): 800-829-4933
  • Help Line for Tax Exempt and Government Entities (TEGE): 877-829-5500
  • Help Line for Forms 706 and 709: 866-699-4083
  • Help Line for Excise Tax and Form 2290: 866-699-4096
  • Help Line for FBAR and Title 31: 866-270-0733
  • Special Hotline for U.S. Military (Disaster or Combat Zone): 866-562-5227
  • Telephone Assistance for Overseas Taxpayers: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
  • Telephone Assistance for the Deaf (TDD): 800-829-4059

Qualify today for a Fresh Start.

Learn how easy it is to qualify for tax savings.